Baked Spice Apples with Hazelnuts
Recipe development and photography by Brian Stafford. Instagram: @dulcegrasosalado
These spiced apples from chef Brian Stafford are a great way to celebrate fall and the harvest season.
- 4 Apples, Honeycrisp or similar
- ¼ cup Butter, softened
- ¼ cup Packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup Chopped hazelnuts
- ¼ cup Raisins
- 1 tsp Ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Ground mace
- ¼ tsp Ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp Ground allspice
- Small pinch of alderwood smoked sea salt
(Filling may need to be doubled depending on the size of the apples)
- Pre-Heat oven to 375°.
- Core apples using a melon baller without cutting through the bottom. This will allow for the juices to concentrate and cook within the apple.
- In a bowl mix together softened butter, oats, brown sugar, hazelnuts, raisins, cinnamon, mace, cardamom, allspice and salt.
- Stuff filling into each apple until slightly overfilled.
- Place apples in a small baking dish and cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 30 minutes allowing the apples to soften and then remove foil.
- Continue baking until apples are tender and the insides are syrupy, another 20 minutes. At this point the apple should be able to be pierced with a sharp knife.